The most delicious way to serve vegetables, in my opinion, is grilled, and below is my recipe for a mixed-vegetable salad of grilled veggies that pairs beautifully with grilled lamb and a glass of Merlot. You can modify the vegetables in this recipe to create a Southwestern style salad, with corn, chiles and cilantro added in at the end.
- 1 red bell pepper, top and seeds removed, and cut into 4 large slices
- 1 baby eggplant, sliced into 1 inch rounds (cut on the bias to give more surface space to the vegetable)
- 1 green zucchini, sliced into 1 inch rounds, cut on the bias
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced into 1 inch rounds, cut on the bias
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 4 wedges (do not remove stem)
- 1 large carrot, sliced into 1 inch rounds, cut on the bias
- 1 clove of raw garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil + 1/4 cup for basting
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your grill to medium high heat (450F).
- Brush all of your vegetables (not the garlic!) with the 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Lightly sprinkle them all with salt and pepper.Grill in batches, starting with the onions, bell pepper and carrots, then moving to the zucchinis and finally, eggplant. Grill for approximately 4 minutes per side until they are nicely charred and tender in the middle. Be extra careful with the zucchini and eggplant as they cook the quickest and will fall apart if cooked too long. You are looking for a nice, charred exterior for maximum flavor.
- Allow the grilled veggies to cool on the counter for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the grilled bell pepper and onions into 2-inch size pieces and add to a large bowl.
- add the grilled zucchinis, eggplant, and carrots.
- In a separate bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar, the thyme and the minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper (up to you, I like to add a heavy pinch of both)
- Drizzle the sauce over the grilled vegetables. Toss gently to incorporate.
- Top with crumbled feta.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.